These criteria for continuing education are provided to better insure quality and consistency in educational offerings for ophthalmic dispensers. There are many educational experiences which provide learning and advance the ophthalmic profession; however, only courses which are planned and administered in accordance with the ABO-NCLE Criteria will be accepted for recertification credit.
Effective January 1, 2022
the education committee will no longer approve courses for 3 years. All courses will be approved for a 1 year term
Submissions must include the following:
- A course description and list of learning objectives must be developed by the speaker for each course, describing in general terms what should be learned by the participants.
- The speaker’s detailed outline showing time references and specific skills to be learned must be submitted for each course.
- The intended audience and content level must be specified by the speaker.
- Course content must be generic in nature and presented in an objective manner.
- Courses submitted for more than two (2) hours must be split up and submitted as Part 1, Part 2, etc. The course length and method of presentation must be indicated on the course application.
- Speakers must be qualified by education or experience to provide quality instruction in the relevant subject area, and must be approved by ABO‐NCLE for each course level they are presenting. Speakers seeking approval for Ophthalmic Level III courses must be approved as an Ophthalmic Level III speaker.
Failure to follow these criteria will result in denial of CEC Approval to course sponsors.