National Academy of Opticianry (NAO)
The National Academy of Opticianry "The Academy" is an international organization dedicated solely to education and training for ALL opticians. Founded in 1963, the Academy offers opticianry education and training in a variety of formats. We cover all aspects of education and training from career preparation (internationally known as the Ophthalmic Career Progression Program), certification and licensing exam preparation and continuing education for beginning through advanced level opticians.
Opticians Association of America (OAA)
Established in 1926 as the Guild of Prescription Opticians, the Opticians Association of America (OAA) is the only national organization representing opticianry's business, professional, educational, legislative and regulatory interests. The Opticians Association of America's mission is to promote and expand opticianry by being the single unified voice of America's Opticians. In support of this mission we are committed to promoting professional stature through leadership, education, legislative representation and communication. Under OAA's very broad umbrella, individuals providing eyeglasses or contact lenses to consumers, as well as owners / managers of retail optical firms, state optician societies and suppliers to professional optician find a common goal in Advancing America's Opticians. OAA fosters, supports, and sponsors programs of competency certification, licensing and continuing education for professional development.
Contact Lens Society of America (CLSA)
CLSA is dedicated to the education, evolution, and promotion of contact lens technology. The objective of the CLSA is to promote education, mutual understanding and cooperation among all persons interested in contact lens fitting through the following means:
- The dissemination of information to the membership.
- The fostering of forums for the membership to interact and exchange knowledge and information.
- Establishment of a Foundation for the promotion of research in all areas of contact lens development.
- The promotion of the highest business and ethical standards in all phases of contact lens fitting.
- The promotion of educational activities for fostering the use of contact lenses, the scientific research of contact lenses, and the improvement of the contact lens fitting industry.
- To support any other means similar to, but not limited to, those listed above to meet the objective of the Society, all to be promoted, transacted or carried on without pecuniary profit.
To achieve these goals, CLSA embraces high standards of professional and personal conduct. In order to maintain the high standards set forth, all members are expected to subscribe to the CLSA Code of Ethics.
National Federation of Opticianry Schools (NFOS)
The National Federation of Opticianry Schools (NFOS) is the international organization dedicated to the promotion of formal opticianry education offered by accredited educational institutions. Formal education is fundamental to the credibility of the Optician as a vision care professional. NFOS member schools are located in the United States and Canada.
The Goals of the NFOS:
- Upgrade the standards of opticianry education
- Facilitate the exchange of teaching methods
- Achieve uniformity of formal education in opticianry
- Assist national opticianry organizations in their efforts
- Develop formal educational programs in identified areas of need